- For vomiting, give a clear liquid diet for the first 24 hours of the illness.
- Start with sips or small amounts of clear liquids. If your child is tolerating it you can gradually increase the amount.
- Recommend probiotics 2-3 times a day, a single strain probiotic is good for acute GI illness.
- Usually vomiting lasts 24-48 hours, but diarrhea can persist for a week.
- Once vomiting resolves can start a BRAT – bananas/rice/applesauce/toast – diet. Start slow and increase as your child tolerates.
- Monitor for signs and symptoms of dehydration; call for any lethargy, less than three wet diapers in 24 hours, or if lips and mouth become dry.
- Call the office for any blood in stool, diarrhea longer than one week.
Disclaimer: this health information is for educational purposes only. You, the reader, assume full responsibility for how you choose to use it. Please call the office if you have further questions regarding the above information or concerns for your child.